Call For Application: Community Organizing Training, Lagos
Yiaga Africa announces the call for applications from young civic actors, youth in political parties and activists on community organizing in Lagos State. The Community Organizing Training is part of Yiaga Africa’s Community Organizing Institute.
The Community Organizing Training draws inspiration from Harvard Kennedy School’s “Leadership, Organizing and Action” course of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. The sessions will cover specialized topics on political and community organizing, effective policy advocacy, non-violent change, scenario building, power mapping, building and maintaining networks and coalitions, gender mainstreaming, and online organizing. The Training will also strengthen the technical capacities of youth and women-led organizations in community engagement and promotion of democratic values and principles in Lagos state.
Who should apply?
The Organizing Training seeks to equip 40 young men and women who are members of civil society and political parties in Lagos State with the requisite political organizing and advocacy skills needed to engage political party officials and increase youth participation as candidates. Applications will be based on merit but will also consider gender inclusion and representation of various political interests and parties with representation at the state.
At the end of the Training, the participants will be tasked to actively lead civil society and political campaigns including but not limited to youth political participation and media advocacy with mentorship from Yiaga Africa using the skills learned from the Training.
Candidate must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 30 by the time of application
- Fluent in English
- Must be resident in Lagos state for at least 2 years
- Must reside in any of the local governments in Lagos state
- Conversant with socio-economic and political issues in Nigeria
- Be a member of a registered political party,
- Have potential to be positive role models
- Committed to attending all sessions of the Community Organizing Training
- Female applicants and persons living with disabilities are STRONGLY encouraged to apply.
Yiaga Africa will cover the costs of participation associated with attending the Training
Interested applicants should apply using the form below.
The deadline is May 22nd, 2022