2020 Edo State Governorship Election Peace Accord as Signed by Political Party Party Chairpersons and Governorship Candidates.
|Date:||Sep 16 2020|
|Category:||Elections, Elections Reports, Publications, Reports|
|Tags:||Edo Election, Election, Report, Yiaga|
On the Prevention of Violence and Acceptance of Election Results by Governorship Candidates and Chairpersons of Political Parties Contesting the 2020 Governorship Elections in Edo State Under the Auspices of the National Peace Committee, NPC We the undersigned Governorship Candidates of the under-listed political parties contesting in the Governorship Elections of Edo State in September 2020;
Reaffirming our commitment to taking proactive measures towards ensuring a conducive environment for the conduct of a credible electoral process;
Anxious about the maintenance of a peaceful environment before, during, and after the 2020 Governorship Elections in Edo State;
Reaffirming our commitment to fully abide by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, to respect the rules and regulations as laid down in the Legal Framework for Elections in Nigeria, and to adhere to best international standards;
Desirous of sustaining and promoting the unity and corporate existence of Nigeria as an indivisible entity;
Determined to avoid any conduct or behaviour that will endanger the political stability and national security of Nigeria;
Mindful of our responsibility towards the Nigerian citizens and their democratic rights; we are determined to place national interest above personal and partisan concerns;
Hereby commit ourselves and our parties to the following:
1. To support all institutions of government involved in conducting or securing the elections – in particular the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the security forces – to act with professionalism, impartiality and transparency;
2. To insulate state agencies, institutions and public officers from supporting partisan interests in any form, as well as the full application of national and international laws against subversion of the electoral process, incitement to
violence or other offenses that may compromise the integrity of the ballot and the security of Nigerians and non-Nigerians before, during and after the elections.
3. To ensure uninterrupted and uncompromised freedom of expression and information, both online and offline, throughout the electoral process;
4. To admonish our party members and our teeming followers to refrain from insults, intimidations, incitement and violence, and to conduct themselves in accordance with the rule of law after the announcement of the results;
5. To publicly condemn acts of violence and their instigators and perpetrators;
6. To respect that the results can only be announced by INEC, and to accept the outcome of the vote as long as it is adjudged to be free, fair and credible, devoid of intimidation and conducted in accordance with the provisions of the law;
7. To support peaceful, transparent and credible electoral processes and abide by the outcome of the election results;
8. To fully collaborate with the National Peace Committee – made up of respected statesmen and women, traditional and religious leaders – in its mission to monitor the adherence to this Accord;
9. In the event of any disputes that may arise, to follow due process by resorting to the courts of law, and to act in a spirit of statesmanship, putting the country first before individual or party interest.
10. Abide by the letter and spirit of this Accord, and if my actions and utterances, and that of my party violate the principles of this Accord, I accept to the held accountable according to the laws and constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Adopted in Benin City this 15th Day of September, 2020